Saturday, June 16, 2012

Garfield Park field house

Many buildings in Chicago are rectangular. Regular city lots measure 25 by 100 feet, resulting in long rectangular buildings.  It is a treat to be in a building round, enveloping, and fancy. Churches,  movie theaters (now many demolished) are places of beauty and grandeur.  As I take my children to park district classes I get to experience and marvel stunning architecture of park field houses.  I love the sweep of  marble staircases worn at the edges by so many footsteps.

Garfield Park also has to recommend a beautiful conservatory.  My favorite was the fern room. Heaven in the winter. I haven't been back since a huge hailstorm pounded and broke the glass panes last year.  Very weird, giant iceballs were a bad manifestation in July 2011.


Circular lobby.
For historical background, see link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_Park_(Chicago_park)


Upper level bounded by circular railing.



Crowned by ornate ceiling overhead.



Limestone (?) pillar detail.  Little face lost nose.






What conversation would
 these fine fellows have?



What do you wanna do?

 


I dunno, what do you wanna do?





Front facade.

Hope you've enjoyed this tour. 

What are some of your favorite places to visit?
What moves you about them?

###

No comments: