Saturday, August 23, 2014

local good news, bad news, thrift story

Update:  Sadly empty and shuttered, noticed 10/1/2014.

First the good news, American Thrift Store on Chicago Ave (1718 W.) in Chicago is having a sale on all clothes.  $0.99 for each piece.  I set out to look for a navy blue or black pea coat and a sweater cardigan for my 12-year-old son. Instead I found and bought a Bob Mackie 2-piece floaty, floral silk blouse and skirt set (so gorgeous, so not my size but will gift to a size 6 friend), linen pants, linen dress, merino wool sweaters this morning. My almost too heavy to carry bag was loaded up for $14.09. Outside the store perched on the edge of a garbage can was a pair of jeans, reader, I took them!

The store had lots and lots of women's and kids' clothes.  Highly recommend for anyone local to check out. For men, mostly tee shirts and light jackets.  No winter coats or jackets. Big rack of jeans. Didn't have the fortitude to paw through those as the store was very hot and airless.

So some happy finds and will have to keep looking for Clement's requested cool weather items.

Summer bummer: The bad news is that the store will be closing soon.  I hate when that happens to some of my favorite places.  So get there and shop while you still can and let me know what you find.

Can't close on a sad note, can I?  Enclosed are pictures of my favorite birds, taken in February of 2014, on the grounds of a resort, Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in the Dominican Republic.



Caw.

2 comments:

Jessica@CapeofDreams said...

Sounds like you got some great deals. Wish I still lived in Chicago. I love that city and thrift stores. I'm sorry that one is closing.

tess said...

Funny how attached one becomes to certain places. I still miss the thrift store that closed on Wilson almost 20 years ago. Bought the cutest vintage kitchen aprons and a giant sterling sliver hat pin there.

Seems like you have plenty of good finds in your neck of the woods. ;-)